"If you do not like your life, change it."

"If you do not like your life, change it." If you are not doing anything to change your life, then you probably do not hate your life as much as you say you do.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Dessert Ideas: Fried Apple

Today, I feel like eating something sweet. So, I decided to make the southern-style Apple Fry.
While I was in the US, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the food in the southern states of the USA is as spicy and greasy as that of India's! Though I lived in Missouri, I traveled often to Kansas, Louisiana and the other southern states. So, I had ample opportunity to gorge on fried chicken, cole slaw, apple fry and loads of similar southern delicacies.
I was always under the impression that apple is a fruit and hence, it should be eaten raw or atmost as apple jam. I mean that's what we do here in India! So, I was pretty taken aback the first time I came across Apple Fry. Frying a fruit?? Hmmm, interesting... But after I tried it once, I was hooked. And, it has remained my favorite dessert ever since.

Ingredients:
250 gm apples (2-3 apples). Do not use sour apples.
100 gm butter. If you are health-conscious, then use un-salted fat-free butter such as Nutralite.
2 table spoon sugar. You might have to use more sugar if you are using slightly tangy apples. If you are health-conscious, then use jaggery. You can use fat-free sugars such as Sweet N Low as well.

Preparation:
1. Cut each apple into 12-15 slices length-wise. Remove the seeds in the core.
2. Peel each apple slice.
3. In a heavy pan or skillet, heat the butter on a low flame till all the butter melt.
4. Add the apple slices and stir to make sure that each slice is coated with butter.
5. Add the sugar/jaggery and stir to make sure that it is evenly distributed.
6. Cover the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes. Remove cover and stir every 1-2 minutes to make sure that the apple slices do not stick to the pan.
7. Apple Fry is ready! Do not refrigerate.



Apply Fry can be served as dessert by itself. However, it tastes great if you add a scoop of vanilla ice-cream with each helping. So, go ahead- pamper your sweet tooth!

4 comments:

  1. sounds very very weird!...I would have to think a dozen times before trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arre it tastes heavenly!
    Anyway, I am going to force-feed this to you the next time you come to my place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks can sometimes be pleasantly deceptive :):)

    ReplyDelete